Monday, April 2, 2012

Running the Race














This past Saturday I ran in a 5K race. It was an experience that I will remember and cherish for a long time for many reasons.



First, it was a race to raise money for a childrens home in India. What a great reason to run. Especially since I'm not much of a runner. Second, several of my Hillsdale students ran. We had been "training" during PE for about 6 weeks so theybwould be ready if they wanted to participate. There were around 25 students that ran and several of them placed in their age bracket! Third, John and Charlie (my brother) ran the 5K and Jessica and Sam ran the mile. It was a family event! Last, but not least, towards the end of my race (at the point when I didn't think I was going to make it up the last hill), my dear friend ran with me up the hill encouraging me the whole way up so I could cross the finish line! Now please know she was not therento race. She had jeans on and walked down the hill to meet me. This spoke volumes to me. If I had had any ounce of energy left I would have told her how much it meant to me. She ran the race with me when I needed it most. And that is what a friend does. Even when it's not their race, they come along side and offer thensupport and encouragement we need to finish our race. I will never forget that moment when she was right there by my side. Thank you my friend!


A race that was more than a race!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Great job, Emily! Good for you for going out and doing it! How fun to run as a family.