Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Nicaragua- A day farming

June 26,2013

Today we went with Katia and Holman to work with/for a family in there corn field. On the way to the field we stopped at a home and meet a 13 year old girl named Angelica. She had just had a baby 20 days ago. She was a beautiful young girl with so much sadness in her eyes. The father of the baby is 17 and a hard worker. He makes wooden jewelery baskets and wooden bracelets. They are beautiful. He wants to marry her but she doesn't know yet. They (Katia and Holman, who work at the micro fiance site) are encouraging her to marry becuase of her future. She can't go back to school because of the baby.  I got to hold her son. They haven't named him yet. We got to pray for/with her.

After we got done there, we went to a corn field on the side of a hill and put on fertilizer BY HAND! It was hard work and made my back hurt, but was so worth it. I was so sweaty and hot. We carried around a 5 gallon bucket with fertilizer in it and grabbed a handful and threw it down towards the roots. You could get 3 plants per handful. Talk about time consuming.

After we got that done we walked a little bit to a spot where we ate our lunch. It was a shaded area over looking the lagoon and volcano. I was so glad they take a long lunch break!

After lunch we did home visits. We visited several homes. One was of another 13 yr old girl, Anna. She has a broken ankle from falling out of a tree while chasing a squirrel.  Her family took her to thr doctor. They need to do surgery but the hospital doesn't have the supplies. So they have to wait for a call. We prayed with Anna and also got to meet her mother, father, 2 brothers, and her Granmother. I told them I would pray for a call soon from the doctors so they can get her ankle fixed. We also helped there family by hoeing there corn rows. This wasn't part of the "plan" but God allowed it to happen. It was in the afternoon and very hot. We were soaked in sweat when we got done. The father, Armondo, sent his son to go buy us coke and cookies. That had to be one of the best pops I've had in a long time.

Another home we stopped at had a 15 yr old girl. Her mom died when she was young. she had lived in north Nicaragua with her oldest sister but recently moved her and lives with another sister. She is very lonely and wants to move back. We got a chance to encourage her and pray with her. I asked if we could take a picture with her to help remind me to pray for her. She said yes. When we were leaving I said goodbye and shook her hand and she gave me a check kiss. I think we were able to be God,s hand and feet today.  Feeling extremely blessed. And tired! :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I can just picture you there, taking it all in, giving your all, loving these people you've never met. Praying for continued strength...and laundry detergent! ;)